Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Who needs sleep?

So much has happened in the last two days, and being sleep deprived has given the whole experience a dream like quality. We spent all day today going doing cleverly desguised ice breaker exercises, I think i've met almost all of the 44 volunteers and remembered the names of maybe twenty which is pretty good for me.

I really lucked out, my room mate at the hotel is a mathy guy who also brought his guitar, is going to try to make it work with his girlfriend stateside and has a quick sense of humor, took zero effort to make friends. I havent met anyone yet i dont like and everyone is pleasently nerdy. The things different people are anxious about is pretty intereting. Forget worrying about fitting in, making a difference, or health, a surprising number of us are more worried about the size of insects we're going to encounter. Meh, i'll take on a frisbee sized spider, it might be the only animal protein i get for a while.

Last night a group of us went to dinner and ended up at a karoke bar. I never thought i'd be singing Billy Joel with three other guys but when you're leaving for Uganda for 2 years its pretty easy to say fuck it why not. Which i think is the attitude the Peace Corps is really looking for in volunteers.

I won't be updating this for perhaps 10 weeks and will only be available by email if that, so farewell for now!

1 comment:

  1. I miss you! I can't even imagine you singing Billy Joel on a stage! I wish I could have been there to see that! I know that you are probably having the time of your life right now and adjusting to all of the new and exciting aspects of your life, but remember that we miss you! -Dana

    ReplyDelete